Wintery conditions returned to Kingston just in time for the Twosome Run on February 12th. That did not deter over 160 runners from taking to the streets for this popular mid-winter 5k race. Many of the participants teamed up to compete as a Twosome, with the fastest pair being Nick McGraw and Lauren Prufer, who also recorded the fastest individual male and female times. Congratulations to Nick and Lauren!
Through this race, the KRRA is pleased to support the Limestone Learning Foundation and thanks to the strong turnout of runners, we'll be able to donate over $1,000 to support their health and wellness programs at area schools. We've received some great feedback about the race through our post-race survey and plans are already in place for the 2013 KRRA Twosome Run next February.
Thanks to all the runners, volunteers, sponsors and spectators for supporting this race.
Here's a look at some of the fun!
- KRRA has added the Belleville Road Runner’s Spring Thaw 10K to the 2012 race series. This event will be held on Sunday, May 13, and will result in 10 races for club members to earn series points. See below for more information.
- Information has gone out to KASSAA schools regarding the 2012 KRRA Bursaries; the application form can be found on the KRRA website under KRRA Links.
- Recently I read a book called Barefoot Running Step by Step by Ken Bob Saxton and Roy M. Wallack. – it was published in 2011 and is available at our local library; also saw it in book stores down south. As I was in Florida at the time, trying out the technique, in barefeet, was a little easier than it would have been here in Kingston. I ran shoeless for 10 to 15 minutes about a half a dozen times; it felt great running along the edge of the water on the incredible Treasure Island beach and okay when running on sidewalks. The book offers: tips about running barefoot, a variety of drills, the benefits to your running and your knees, feet, etc., testimonials from a variety of runners, and what its place might be in a running program – everything from barefoot all the time to barefoot occasionally. At this point, I’m not sure where I will fall in that continuum. In addition there are many photographs. If you are interested in learning about running shoeless or in minimalist footwear, this is a book for you.
Gananoque to Kingston Run March 25
It's an annual Spring tradition! Take a break from your usual Sunday run route and join Runners' Choice for a 30k (or less) run from Gananoque to Kingston on March 25th.
This a "just for fun" event - feel free to join us for 10, 15, 20 or the full 30k. Relay groups are most welcome too. Contact Runners' Choice at 542-2410 for info or to get on the list.
The carpool typically leaves Runners' Choice at 8am, with the run starting from the Gananoque Subway restaurant at 8:30.
Belleville Spring Thaw 10k
The KRRA is pleased to introduce a new addition to the KRRA Race Series in 2012. Join us in Belleville on May 13th for the 33rd annual Belleville Spring Thaw 10k. This picturesque route will take runners along waterfront trails, enjoying views of the Bay of Quinte and the Moira River.
Those who've participated in this race before can't say enough good things about it. The 10k race will earn KRRA members points in the Race Series, but bear in mind that there's a 4k race as an option as well. For more information, including a course map, directions and past results see www.krra.org/belleville.
See you in the "Friendly City" on May 13th.
The Kingston Road Runners Association (KRRA) is a not-for-profit organization fully run by volunteers - many of whom are runners and people who support and encourage running. Our membership year is for the calendar year, January to December. The annual membership fee is $20.00 per person or $30.00 per family. A KRRA membership has multiple benefits:
- $10 off the pre-registration fees for each of the five KRRA-organized races: Resolution, Twosome, Half/5K, Limestone Mile, Anniversary
- earning points in the KRRA Race Series standings and year end awards (if you join by July 1st)
- a 10% discount at Runners Choice Kingston
- direct support of an organization that promotes a healthy lifestyle through fun and fitness for adults and children and directly supports many local charitable organizations, with a focus on elementary and high school students.
Join KRRA for our weekly workouts!
- Mondays: an easy run of 30-60 minutes from Runners' Choice at 6pm
- Tuesdays: join KRRA for up-tempo workouts Tuesdays at 5:45pm (current location is the Barriefield Hill)
- Thursdays: Women-only group run from Runners' Choice at 6pm
- Sundays: join KRRA for long runs from Runners' Choice, 8:30am